Collapse of Thomas Cook

Collapse of Thomas Cook

Thanks to Dean Snee, local travel agent with Travel Counsellors based in Poulton, for this advice if you have been affected by the collapse of Thomas Cook.

Dean explains –

It’s so sad to lose this household name after 178 years of trading. But even more importantly, my thoughts are with the thousands of people who have lost their jobs and face uncertainty.  Then of course there are many more people now worrying about their holiday plans.

Hearing that the company you’ve booked your holiday with has gone into administration can be extremely stressful. Whether you’re on your travels or looking forward to a much-needed holiday. It can also be confusing for many to know where to turn, how your holiday is protected and what steps to take next to make things right.

At Travel Counsellors, we believe that it’s important for everyone, not just our customers, to be aware of the importance of booking with someone that they trust and being clear on the financial protection that they have.

There are many different ways in which your travel can be protected, dependent on what, how and where you have booked. Have you been affected by the failure of the Thomas Cook Group? Or are you unsure about financial protection? We’ve put together some points on what you can do next and how you may be protected.

Are you Affected by the Collapse of Thomas Cook?

The CAA have set up a dedicated website at with full information on what to do. And how to check if you are ATOL protected.

If you booked an ATOL package holiday directly with Thomas Cook Holidays.
You will need to make a claim through the CAA and you will receive a full refund. A claim form will be made available by the CAA Monday 30th September. They will aim to pay claims within 60 days of receiving full information. For more information on making an ATOL claim please click here

If you booked an ATOL package holiday with another tour operator that included a Thomas Cook Airlines flight.
Your travel company is obliged to find you an appropriate alternative to fulfil the holiday or provide a full refund to you.

If you booked a flight directly with Thomas Cook Airlines.
• Check your travel insurance to check whether it includes cover for supplier failure
• If you paid or part-paid by credit card and the value of the flight(s) is between £100 and £30,000, you can claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1979
• If you paid on credit or debit card, you can make a claim under the charge back scheme rules (this is not legislative but is a card scheme rule)

If you have a booked a non-Thomas Cook holiday with a Thomas Cook Retail Shop
The tour operator responsible for your holiday (TUI, Kuoni etc) will still operate your booking and will take this over directly. Some tour operators may have specific policies which will be made available directly

At Travel Counsellors, our customers are at the centre of what we do, that is why financial protection is of utmost importance to us. Alongside ATOL and airline failure insurance, we also cover our customers with our unique financial trust. It financially protects every part of your trip so no matter what happens, your money is safe.

Travelling in Europe

I just wanted to mention a few other things that people should be aware of if planning to travel within Europe in the coming months.

We don’t yet know what kind of relationship the UK and the rest of Europe will have after October 31st. (Trying not to use the ‘B’ word!)

If no agreement is reached it is likely that to travel to another European country you will need to have at least 6 months validity left on your passport. At the moment your passport only needs to be valid for when you travel so please check if you are travelling soon.

The European Health Insurance Card may also not be valid so it will be more important than ever to have the right health insurance. Finally, if you are planning to drive you may need to apply for an International Driving Permit and Green Card. There is more information about these on the government’s website

Need a New Passport?

If you do need to apply for a new passport I can highly recommend the Post Office Check and Send Service. I recently renewed my passport at the Post Office in Poulton using the digital service. I didn’t have to fill in any forms, they took the photos there and then and my new passport arrived in the post very quickly.

If you still feel unclear on the rules around financial protection, or you just need some help or advice, please let me know. You don’t need to be a Travel Counsellors customer, I’ll be happy to provide you with information and advice.

Just get in touch with Dean Snee, Travel Counsellor on 01253 320033 or email Please mention that you saw it on Visit Fylde Coast!

This content has been provided by a business working with Visit Fylde Coast.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *