98% Pass Rate for B&FC Students

The 98% pass rate for B&FC students in 2019 has put them at the front of the queue for leading jobs and university places. Pictured above from left to right – Abigail Eaves, Chay Lonsdale, Mary Bayes, Ethan Lawrence.

Blackpool and The Fylde College (B&FC) students had a fantastic 2018/19, with 16 to 18 year old triple diploma students achieving a 98% pass rate. These programmes are the equivalent of studying three A-levels in academic subjects.

B&FC is ranked in the top 2% of colleges in England for school leaver success, three years running.

Some of the College’s star students this week praised B&FC’s programmes and put their success down to the nature of courses with a high emphasis on technical and professional skills development.

It’s an impressive year for B&FC’s triple diploma students.

12 subject areas including Automotive, Computing, Advanced Construction, Health and Social Care Cadets and Art & Design achieved a 100% pass rate. 47% of students on those programmes achieved a high grade (triple distinction star to Distinction, Merit, Merit – or equivalent).

Here’s what some of the student said:

Engineering student Chay Lonsdale

Chay is over the moon to receive an outstanding D*D*D and has chosen to stay on at B&FC – studying the BEng Aerospace Engineering, awarded by UK top 10 Lancaster University – to pursue his dream of becoming an aircraft technician. The former St George’s student said:

At B&FC I can get a prestigious top 10 university degree in my home town without the costs associated with leaving home. The one-to-one teaching approach means the learning objectives are fully understood before you leave the classroom.”

“My enjoyment of the course and the help of my tutors has given me the confidence to come back and do my degree, and I’m really excited to start! It just goes to show that you’ll never regret working hard because it pays off!”

Applied Science student Claire Nicholls

Claire is thrilled to receive a triple distinction with two stars in Applied Science. While studying the two-year Level 3 Triple Diploma, the former Aspire Academy student undertook an industry placement at Blackpool Victoria Hospital Haematology Department.

“It found it really interesting”, she said. “And the units I studied have given me a head start for university. There was a really good blend of theory and practical work and the support was brilliant – I didn’t feel any pressure.”

“College has definitely prepared me well for my next step and I’m just so glad I got the grades I needed.”

Claire is now headed to UCLan to study a degree in Forensic Science and Molecular Biology to work towards becoming either a Crime Scene Investigator or a Forensic Scientist.

Another Applied Science student, Abigail Eaves

Abigail achieved an amazing triple distinction star and with it, a place on UCLan’s Pharmacy degree. The 19-year-old, who attended Highfield Academy and wants to be a pharmacist, had spent the whole summer worrying about her results and was understandably “really, really happy”.

“I originally did A-levels but found that they weren’t for me. So I transferred to this course and it’s just been really nice, everyone gets on. You do the work but there isn’t the same pressure.

“The tutors are so friendly here – they give you all the help you need and they’re always there for you. It was so much better than I thought it would be and I’ve come out of my shell a lot more too – it was really good.”

Public Services student Mary Bayes

Twenty-year-old Mary, who enrolled on the Level 3 Public Services course after relocating from London, was delighted to learn she had achieved D*D*D*. Her goal is a career in either the Army or the Police.

“It was the perfect course for me because I knew I wanted a career in the Public Services and I’d heard lots of good things about the College too.”

“It’s been great; I’ve loved meeting new people and getting involved in activities such as army camps and a National Citizen Service residential trip to Scotland. I feel more confident as a result.”

“I’m staying on here now to do my Public Services Degree. The tutors have been so nice over the two years; they’ve got to know me and I’m just happy here.”

Jamie Russell studied the Level 3 Health and Social Care NHS Cadetship

Jamie spent two days a week on placement gaining practical medical experience during the first year. The former Hodgson student – who wants to be a paramedic – didn’t consider A-levels as he preferred a “more practical” course.

“It was the right decision”, he explains. “This course was more suited to what I want to do and there was a lot of support. The skills I gained on placement are directly relevant to working in the health and care sector.”

“The overall experience and helpful tutors at B&FC have given me the knowledge and confidence to get good grades and a place at university to do paramedic practice. I’m really excited for the future.”

Jamie starts a degree in Paramedic Practice at the University of Cumbria in September.

An Impressive 98% Pass Rate for B&FC Students

As the anchor educational institution for the Fylde Coast, B&FC delivers education and training which provides skilled employees for industry, drives the economy and offers rewarding careers for its students.

Bev Robinson OBE, Principal and Chief Executive at B&FC, said:

“At B&FC, we offer an innovative and highly responsive curriculum co-created with industry to meet employers’ specific requirements. We are a national leader in higher technical and professional education and training.

“Technical education is extremely important for the UK economy, especially in light of BREXIT, and B&FC believes it has a vital role in providing a workforce with the relevant skills required by industry.

“It is important to celebrate the achievements and successes of our students as they go on to higher education or embark on their careers in industry. I am confident that I speak for everyone at B&FC when I offer my heartfelt congratulations and wish students every success in all their future endeavours.”

Some of B&FC’s high performing extended diploma programmes in 2018/19:

• Computing 100% pass rate and 100% high grades
  • Construction 100% pass rate and 100% high grades
  • Photography 100% Pass rate and 80% high grades
  • Health and Social Care Cadets 100% Pass rate and 90% high grades
  • IT Mobile Media Development 100% pass rate and 63% high grades
  • Sport 100% pass rate and 50% high grades
  • Engineering 97% pass rate and 64% high grades
  • Public Services 96% pass rate and 74% high grades
  • Applied Science 94% pass rate and 75% high grades
  • Business Management 92% pass rate and 82% high grades

Find out more about B&FC, enrolment and open days

While you’re here…

Have a look at the homepage of the Visit Fylde Coast website for more of the latest updates.

Love the Fylde Coast? Sign up for your weekly email newsletter. Packed full of interesting things it arrives in your inbox all 52 weeks of the year.

Join us on Facebook at our Visit Fylde Coast Facebook Group

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @visitFyldeCoast

What do you think? Leave a comment below

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *