18m Visitors Can't be Wrong!

18m Visitors Can't be Wrong!

The 18m visitors who flocked to Blackpool during 2018 can’t be wrong! It really is a great place to visit!

The latest STEAM* independent research figures for 2018 show that Blackpool’s tourism economy has grown for a fourth successive year.

Compared to the previous year, the total number of visitors grew by almost 200,000 to 18.2m, with increases in both day and staying visitors.

Over the same period, the value of Blackpool’s tourism industry soared by 4% to £1.58bn. That means that the resort accounts for more than 40% of the value of Lancashire’s total visitor economy.

The report also shows that the total number of full-time tourism and hospitality jobs supported in Blackpool has grown to 25,400. That’s a 1% increase over the previous year.

The Value of Tourism

Deputy Leader of Blackpool Council, said: “It’s very encouraging that the STEAM report for 2018 shows continued growth in our visitor economy. Once again, there is an increase in visitor numbers and a significant uplift in the economic impact of tourism.

“We are committed to maintaining Blackpool’s position as the UK’s most visited seaside resort. There’s continued investment in tourism infrastructure and new shows and attractions. Plus the sympathetic rejuvenation of iconic assets such as The Blackpool Tower and the Winter Gardens.

“The coming year will see the opening of a further three next-generation hotels. And the opening of the brand new conference and exhibition centre that will help meet our objective of becoming a true, year-round destination.”

The STEAM research shows there has been consistent growth since 2014, when Blackpool’s visitor numbers stood at 16.8m and the value of the tourist industry at £1.3bn.

What is STEAM?

*STEAM is a tourism economic impact modelling process which ‘approaches the measurement of tourism from the bottom up, through its use of local supply side data and tourism performance and visitor survey data collection.’

According to their website –

STEAM quantifies the local economic impact of tourism, from both staying and day visitors, through analysis and use of a variety of inputs including visitor attraction numbers, tourist accommodation bedstock,  events attendance, occupancy levels, accommodation tariffs, macroeconomic factors, visitor expenditure levels, transport use levels and tourism-specific economic multipliers. Throughout the year, we continuously review STEAM input data and consider, for each reporting area, the robustness of the inputs.  This review process ensures that any identified weaknesses in data flow can be addressed.

STEAM uses the above input data to generate a series of impact analyses, relating to four key visitor types:

• Staying in Serviced Accommodation
  • Those Staying in Non-Serviced Accommodation
  • Staying with Friends and Relatives (SFR)
  • Tourist Day Visitors

While you’re here…

Have a look at the Visit Fylde Coast website homepage for more of the latest updates.

Love the Fylde Coast? Sign up for your weekly email newsletter. Packed full of interesting things it arrives in your inbox all 52 weeks of the year.

Join us on Facebook at our Visit Fylde Coast Facebook Group

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @visitFyldeCoast

What do you think? Leave a comment below

One Comment
  1. Avatar

I try nearly every year for my mother-in-law and father-in-law sadly my mother-in-law passed away in February so I’m hoping to get three tickets for my father-in-law my wife and me.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *