Hello, I'm Chrissie. I can't get over how lucky I am to be living at the seaside - I still love living at Cleveleys after being here for more than 15 years. I hope you enjoy my slightly cock-eyed look at life - come back regularly for a look at living beside the seaside, our mad family life and my view on local and topical current affairs. The weather often features, along with the very different things that you get to see and do when you live somewhere like this.
But first, my dear daughter started her Thursday morning as she usually does on a Thursday, looking for the helicopter at 7am as she could hear it whirring overhead, or so she thought.
She opened the blinds and peeped out nothing there, then opened the door and looked outside seeking the noise - and once again realised that it was the washing machine in the kitchen! I wonder if next Thursday she will remember that she put the washer on when she got up, instead of trying to find an imaginary helicopter, who knows!
Is anyone else getting a bit browned off with the weather? After a couple of decent sunny days, it was back to the rain again on Wednesday, and quite cool with it too. Yesterday morning started in the same way and I thought we were in for another grey day, but thankfully it fined up after lunch. I don’t know about you but I really don’t like the dark nights and mornings at all, especially as I still keep thinking I’m somewhere still in May, what am I like. But I’m not the only one as Jane keeps saying the same, I just wish we could have had a nice continually hot Summer instead of odd days here and there, what about you!
After my last blog about the Vic I thought I would have a natter again about one or two medical things so here goes.
Did you know that Nicotine residue on your home surfaces and clothes can damage the brain and liver, well you do now. I was alarmed to learn that it also raises the risk of diabetes and obesity with the effects starting just one month after exposure. It seems that the stains form toxins that are absorbed through the skin or breathing, oh my goodness, we’ll all have to stop breathing then, gosh! Children are most at risk as young ones crawl round and are more likely to put their hands in their mouths. Well thank goodness I don’t crawl or gnaw my fists then, but on a serious note it seems that smokers’ hotel rooms, cars and homes are most likely to be contaminated with third hand smoke which is a deadly, silent killer.
When I was young, both my brother and dad smoked in the house, as back then in the good old days there weren’t connections being made to the dangers of smoking, so it was like having two chimneys in the house. The strange thing was that I wasn’t aware of the smell in those days, probably because I lived in the noxious fumes and got used to them. But now if I smell smoke it smells absolutely awful to me, especially as, thankfully, we have got used to smoke free zones everywhere we go.
We’ve often wondered if that was a contributing factor to me getting cancer as I was surrounded by smoke for so many years, but who knows. (Along with the DDT insecticide that I gleefully sprayed everywhere as a young child). When Jane was young we always went to my mum and dad’s on Friday night, and after smelling so awful when we got home we had to change our clothes and put clean ones on. In the end I put my foot down and told him what for. Luckily along with my mum nagging, who also had asthma to cope with, he started smoking outside. Although when he was up early in the morning he did smoke inside - the crafty monkey.
I’m just glad I never ever wanted to smoke, it certainly wasn’t high on my list of priorities. I used to tell him that he was playing Russian Roulette with his life and risking dying of cancer, while I had the disease foisted on me and had no choice whether I lived or died, but nothing made a difference. He couldn’t stop, and like my brother who did die at 61 with smoking being a big contributory factor, my dad died at 79 - again the same. I’ve often wondered if they would change their minds if they knew. We always called them cancer sticks.
Another thing that amazed me was finding out that £20 million has been paid out in one year for claims for bed sores by the NHS. I was staggered, yes, I was reeling all over the place. Nearly 271 cases were put forward for claims with £10 million being paid out in damages and legal bills that cost the eye watering amount, with patients getting on average £80,000 each.
Now I don’t know what you all think, but there shouldn’t have been bed sores in the first place as they are so preventable, but I must say that I was a bit staggered that people claimed £80,000 for them. This is my personal opinion but I think we have become too much of a claiming society for everything.
I personally wouldn’t have dreamed of claiming int he first place, and certainly not expected to claim that amount of money, unpleasant though they may be. I just get tired of hearing of people, firms etc who are scared stiff to do the wrong thing in case they get landed with a heavy compensation case. Myself I wouldn’t claim but there you are, that’s old fashioned me for you. Just think what else the NHS could have bought with that kind of money, do you get my point!